Friday, December 3, 2010

Portrait Work in Progress

I decided to play around with some different colored paper - not a neutral, but something bold and brassy. This is on Red Earth Mi-Teintes paper. There is some more work to do on this, but I thought I'd show you what I've been doing the last few days.

Work on such a "warm" support is a challenge, but also quite a bit of fun. My usual flesh tones came out very chalky. However, the eraser is a great tool on a support like this - I was smudging the eraser around with abandon for a while and it had a lovely softening, blending effect. I definitely like that - it felt a bit like painting, pushing and pulling wet paint around.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I like this one very much. And your self portrait below too. On this, I am sure I wouldn't have made such a bold color choice for the support but you have made that work so well here. Brilliant!

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

Beautiful Rose! I love the sparkle in the eyes and the light you have captured. Keep up the good work. :)

Rose Welty said...

Thanks Ann and Kasie! I am really enjoying just trying things out - experimenting and not being too worried over what happens next can be very freeing.

Thanks again for the encouragement ladies.