|That just makes me happy to look at - although I need to decorate those cardboard boxes|
I noticed while doing my last piece that I had trouble finding certain colored pencils - or if I did find it, I discovered I had just one small nib left. Clearly, some reorganization was in order.
|I feel like I have a studio in the woods, with all the conveniences of the city nearby|
So, this week I tackled it. Monday I hauled out all of my pencils, from their various tins, cups, and drawers. I sorted them by color while watching the Cowboy game. Tuesday I cleared off the desk and sorted through the piles on the bookshelf (well, at least I merged them all into one gigantic "to file" pile.) Wednesday I happened by some pint-size wide-mouth canning jars. So Wednesday afternoon, I put all of the sorted pencils into cups (and decided to keep the handy cardboard boxes) and recommissioned a shelf from upstairs. So, broken into small chunks, it didn't take me long to do.
|One trick to reorganization - leave space, you'll always need it|
My favorite parts?
- the snazzy color display - even the family commented that they really like how the studio looked.
- a drawer dedicated to sharpeners
- a drawer dedicated to erasers
- I know what's in my drawers
- a shelf dedicated to books and research (this is where my clutter usually begins, so hopefully I can corral it to one shelf.)
- for now, I know what I have and where it is
|Dedicated Shelves, top down: home papers, research, sketchbooks and recent work, colored paper and vellum, less-used supports and practice paper|
One other recent change I have made in the studio - I now listen to history podcasts while I draw. This has made an amazing change in my work habits. I love to research - so I can always find something more to google and discover. In the past, I have been unable to silence that little voice in my head which prompts me to go find something out. Now, if I just turn on a podcast and start listening I am able to distract the voice enough that I can focus on my drawing. It sounds rather silly when I write it out, but honestly, I have been much more consistent in meeting my production goals because of this change.