Friday, December 26, 2008

Investments for 2009

My Christmas Bouquet
(I so can't wait to get painting!)

I decided to revise how I set goals for the coming year. Last year I had each month planned out. It worked well, as long as I allowed myself to revise each month as I went along. But this year I'm going to run it a little differently.

I'm calling this year an "investment year". I have 5 areas I want to invest my time and energy in. As opportunities arise I can make decisions based on how the proposed project fits in with these 5 essential things. And, to make sure that there is some measurable stuff in there I have two top ten lists - a top ten "to-do" list and a top ten "dreams" list.

The to-do list should provide measurable goals I can put into each month, while still leaving me with room to change things as the year progresses. The "dream" list should give me a few extra challenges to shoot for. (Last year I did better on the challenges than the to-do list. :D)

This post is about my 5 investments. The "top ten" lists will be posted on the 29th and 30th.

Investing in Business
I began selling my artwork online in 2008. Like any responsible business owner, I need to invest in that business. This will include things like marketing (researching SEO, website improvement, using new technology), technical skills (using PSE, manipulating images, getting the best images of my work online), and image/brand-building.

Investing in Drawing
I want to keep my drawing skills sharp and strengthen what needs improvement. This will involve some regular drawing assignments. I'll be investing through participation in VSDs, drawing regularly with my portrait group, researching, and regular sketching. I am very excited to be a part of a portrait group. A gracious group of talented artists has agreed to be in a private group for purposes of critique and growth.

Investing in Painting
In 2008, I picked up the brush and I just can't put it down! So, I want to invest in painting skills - reading, researching, and lots of painting.

Investing in Writing
I'd like to expand my participation in the art world through writing. I have a project I hope will come to fruition. If that doesn't happen, I will do things like write some articles for publication. As well, I'll be doing my usual art history research.

Investing in the Artist
These are more of a personal nature, but I tend to stick to the goals I publish on this blog, so I want to put these here. I hope that these goals will help me feel better more of the time as well as strengthen my body for all that I put it through. We're talking regular exercise (3 times a week), cut down caffeine intake, cut down sugar intake, increase fruit and vegetable intake.

That's an overview of how I plan to spend my 2009. My next two posts, Monday the 29th and Tuesday the 30th will have some more specifics for you. Until then, enjoy your holidays.

6 comments:

Anita said...

What a great set of goals, Rose! Looking forward to seeing what you do in 2009!

Teresa said...

Wow! I'm impressed! You have to be one of the most motivated, organized and disciplined people I know! And, I'm sure it will pay off handsomely. Thumbs up... 2009 sounds like it's going to be a great year for you.

Rose Welty said...

Thanks Ladies!

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Rose,
Love the concept of investing! My favourite is 'investing in the artist'. So many of us could really use a renewed commitment to taking better care of ourselves.
I look forward to reading the top ten lists.

Valerie Jones said...

Great investments, Rose!

Jo Castillo said...

Well, you do it every time! You make a good list for all of us to live up to. :) You will do it, I'm sure.