Thursday, March 27, 2008

Happy Birthday and Kleenex Drama

All the Drama One Kleenex Can Hold
copyright Rose Welty
Colored Pencil on Ingres Paper


Here's a happy birthday to my sister-in-law, Sue! She and I share the same birthday.

Wish I could send you all some cake!

Recently Jeanette Jobson has been doing some nice work on tinted grounds (see here for a sample). In my Holbein reading, I also found some stunning pieces down on tinted grounds with just black and white chalk. So, I had to have a go myself. I have a very old pad of colored Ingres paper from a class I took while living in Oxford (sketching in fields on summery Oxford evenings, lovely times.)

Thinking of my desire to get back into the Mendelowitz book, I decided to do the exercise that I had stopped at, drawing a cloth pinned to a wall. But, not wanting to bother finding a cloth or pinning it, I just grabbed a kleenex, dropped it on the desk and went for it. It's rather a dramatic setting for the humble nose-wiper, but I enjoyed the exercise.

7 comments:

S.G. Chipman said...

Happy Birthday, Rose (and Sue)!

Valerie Jones said...

HAPPY, HAPPY, BIRTHDAY!!!!

I love the Kleenex!! You need to enter it in a competition!

Belinda Lindhardt said...

Happy Birthday Rose.

Well done !!! This is fantastic ! Notice you have all the values happening there all your drawing and seeing and sketching is paying off !! :)

Rose Welty said...

Thanks everyone. I had a very happy birthday...due in part to your gracious comments, thanks for the encouragement, it really does help! It's one of the best parts of blogging ;-).

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Nuts! I'm late!
Well, hope it was a great one and that the cake was yummy! :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

I missed it! Darn...you share the same birthday as my nephew, now I won't forget in the future. A belated Happy Birthday Rose.

Your drawing is fabulous. A humble tissue is exhalted! What started out for me as using up paper I didn't like has turned into my current way of drawing. I love the charcoal and highlights on a tinted support.

Jo Castillo said...

A very belated happy birthday to you.

This is a beautiful rendering of the Kleenex. Good Job. Looks like fun.