Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Treading Lightly and Carrying a Big Stick


OK, so no points for composition or color scheme on this one, but I was experimenting.


Treading Lightly

Above is a piece I've been playing around on. It was an attempt to use colored pencils in the more traditional, "light-touch" fashion. (And I did manage a light touch, until the end.) I also tried two new things: spraying a fixative for additional layers and spraying with a varnish.

When using a light touch, one needs lots of layers, so the fixative step was very useful!

The Big Stick
Spraying with a varnish was more an experiment in sealing it. Actually, it significantly brightened the colors and blended the strokes a bit, particularly where they were all one color. It was rather heart-stopping at first (although this is just experimental and not destined for anything), but then I decided I rather liked the effect the varnish brought.

So, all in all, a good fun play!

5 comments:

Belinda Lindhardt said...

love the colours Rose :)

Yes the sealing / varnishing give it a nice finish doesnt it :)

Valerie Jones said...

I like the emotion of the background in this one. It's like the flower is bursting forth!

Valerie Jones said...

I like the emotion of the background in this one. It's like the flower is bursting forth!

Jo Castillo said...

I like the colors and vitality. Is this on Pastelbord? I am going to try CP on that .... one day. :)

Rose Welty said...

Thanks ladies. It's always fun to experiment, and I think I'm even learning! :D

Jo, this is just bristol board smooth. I do plan to try Pastelbord, maybe even this afternoon!