I can't believe I've spent nearly a week on her. But, it's been a great week. Here's what I've learned:
- Doing a "finished" graphite pencil version of a work is a great place to start on a project.
- The above step gives me confidence to move into more unchartered territory...color.
- Because of my enjoyment of "sloshing paint around", a painting can go good or bad quickly.
- Adding color to my work, as hard as it is proving to be is also proving to be a treasure worth digging for. I grew very excited as I colored in that scarf today. In the photo, the scarf is lovely and to try and express some of that beautiful deep red/purple pattern was thrilling!
- My first layer of paint for the face in the acrylic version dried far too dark. Each subsequent layer, although opaque, was hindered because of that earlier choice. (Acyrlics do dry darker than when they are wet, I knew that - but knowledge isn't everything. Wisdom is applying what your knowledge to your situation!)
- My first "wash" for the face in the CP version was a pale green because I saw a real coolness to her skin tone. Then I went to bed and wondered if I had just made the same mistake twice (see above). Happily, I can report that the green wash was key in preventing her skin becoming too pink - she really has olive skin tone.
- In the CP version, removing color for highlights didn't work out as well for me as last time. In her face, this was because the skin tone was already so light. On her neck and chest, this was because I colored too hard (and so had more to remove) and the small size of the work made it hard to "lift out" color.
Well, that's it for me this week. Next week may be another portrait set like this one, or I may begin study on another artist, or something entirely different. Hmm, my rose bushes are bursting with blooms...