Friday, April 13, 2007

Ingres WIP

This is my copy of Ingres' portrait of Nicholas-Marie Gatteaux done in 1828. I'm not quite finished yet so it's a WIP. I haven't been able to locate an online image of the real thing and I don't want to violate any copyrights, so you'll just have to bear with me.

I chose this one to do because in the original Gatteaux has both a snarky expression on his face and generally looks like a nice man. It's an odd combination, but that is what makes it so intriguing. I think that "nice guy" impression is from his hands (which you can't see yet). They are very tenderly held and have a bit of gentle age to them. And then there's that snobby pursing of the lips....

As comparison, I have the face too thin and too old. I plan to finish the jacket and body and then go over the whole thing again, building values.

Have a good Friday everyone!

No comments: