Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Fashion and Economy

One interesting thing about looking at portraits of another century...there are things that don't make sense. For instance, looking at Sargent's drawing of this woman I can tell that she has an elaborate hat on. However, I could barely begin to tell you what is hair and what is hat. I cropped this picture close to the head for just that reason. Rarely does 21st century fashion make sense to me, I can't pretend I will ever understand this sort of thing.

And for the economy, I just have to say again how looking intensely at JSS's drawings I see a few small, precise lines that make great suggestions as to features and the like. Less is definitely more in the works that I have looked at. To give you an idea, this portrait, which is small, and is based on another's work, only took around 15 minutes from start to finish.

No comments: