Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Back Again...


Last night we got a "loaner" from the "superstore," so I am back in business! Here are a few sketches from the last few days. I was unhappy with the first one (Benson, the man) when I finished it, but with an interval of some sleep, I think that the eyes have more expression then I thought they did. Sargent's Mrs. Webber is a melancholy beauty. In fact, it wasn't until I was working the lips in detail that I realized her mouth was open, about to break into a smile. But the weight (through values) that he gives to the eyes totally overwhelms the mouth. My version looks like a younger version of Sargent's lady.

I didn't get a portrait in on Saturday. I hope to do one this week sometime. I'd love to finish my Sargent project with a portrait of one or some of my boys. I just have to scrounge up some photos. My goal would be to keep two main things in mind that I have learned this month. First, what I have referred to in the past as his "economy of line." Second, his famous use of light and dark. We'll see...

No comments: