Monday, December 3, 2012

When is a photo better than a drawing?

Between the Seasons
copyright 2012 Rose Welty

I recently took this photo on a walk around my neighborhood. I loved how the pine cone was reflecting the color of the fallen leaves below - and how that matched the leaves in the distance. Then those entrancing lines of pine needles called to me.

Originally, I thought perhaps that I would draw this, emphasizing the repeated colors and calligraphy of the pine needles. But as I look at it now, I think I would lose something in the translation to pencil.

It is rare for me to think that a photo is better than a drawing. In this case though, I think it might be. It could just be that I am butting up against a weak skill area and that if I worked on it, I would feel differently. But I'm not entirely sure of that. So, for now I'll mark it down as a phenomenon to watch out for and see if I come across it again.

What do you think? When is a photo better than a drawing?

2 comments:

Ann said...

I think the question should be, when is a drawing better than a photo. I see so many drawings, particularly in cp, that don't give me anything more than a photo would. This is also something I struggle with in my own cp work. How to make the drawing say something more than a photograph. Your drawings manage to do that. I bet you could translate this image into a wonderful drawing as well :-)

Rose Welty said...

Ann, you are absolutely right. I should have phrased it that way. I also agree with you, too much CP work is nothing more than a photo - which is a lost opportunity in my mind - and not something I am interested in pursuing. Thank you for your kind words about my work.