Friday, November 5, 2010

Mary Cassatt - a new project

After Cassatt's Margot in Blue
In January 2007 I started this blog in order to be a part of online group project. The idea was that we study an artist of the past for a month or so (reading and research, copying works, etc) and then produce a piece at the end influenced by what we had learned. I honestly can't think of a better way to learn (at least for me).

So, I'm going to use that model again, this time with Mary Cassatt. Above is my copy of Cassatt's Margot in Blue (1902).

I just finished Mary Cassatt Painting and Prints by Frank Getlein. Next on the list is Mary Cassatt: A Life - perhaps for Christmas, unless I can think of a compelling reason that I need to have it now. :D Can anyone recommend any other books on Cassatt?

I'm very intrigued by Cassatt's pastel portraits and plan to study several of them.

2 comments:

Ann said...

That's really nice, Rose. And a great project too. You really captured that Cassett style! I haven't read any books on Cassett but may have to check out the ones you mentioned here :-)

Rose Welty said...

Thanks Ann. I really enjoyed the book I read and it has a fairly comprehensive look at her work. Not exhaustive but the major works and good reproductions of those. There doesn't seem to be too much information about her as an artist (working methods) or much more than superficial info on her as a person but we'll see. I may find more.