Monday, January 12, 2009

Working in a Group



Here's a peek at my on-going self-portrait. I'm doing it with my portrait group. I have a long ways to go, but it does highlight some of the advantages of working with a group:

  • I get good advice about what to fix and how.
  • I have other eyes that can see what's wrong when I can't.
  • I feel an obligation to finish this.
  • I feel an obligation to try hard with this...I don't want to just "cross the finish line." I really want to incorporate what I am learning from others.
This isn't the only group I'm involved with...it really does help take away the sting of working on your own. I really think finding a community of artists is essential to learning. You may want one community or several, they can be found anywhere...online forums, online challenges, private blogs, commenting on posts, email exchanges, etc...Try it, you might just like it.

6 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Very nice, Rose. Good hatching.

Trish said...

I can't wait to see all of it:)

Stacy said...

It's looking great so far Rose! You seem to have gotten the new year off to a productive start!

Sydney Harper said...

It's looking good, Rose. I like the eyes.

Valerie Jones said...

Rose, this is looking great! The dark values are really making this piece "pop".

jan said...

This is going very well, looking forward to seeing the finished portrait.