Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Treasures!


I mentioned earlier that I have been receiving some of my uncle's things. I thought I would share with you some of my favorite new possessions. Above you see one of my favorite "sets" - it is a collection of drawings spread over time and culture. Below you the inside of the Dutch and the Japanese books.

They are gorgeous books, filled with nice reproductions. They were published in 1965. He had several sets of art history books...he appears to have had all of the Time Life Library of Art "World of..." books.

Then I stumbled onto this....

The drawings are all on different sheets - I can pull each one out and study - a distinct advantage over a bound book. Of course, they could be framed and put up on the wall...now that would be fun! There are color reproductions as well.

And finally, these wood blocks were in with the books and stamps. They are marvelous. Is this the sort of thing you lino printers make?

8 comments:

Belinda Lindhardt said...

wow Rose what a wonderful collection :) how lucky you are :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Treasures indeed! I'm green with envy.

Yes, those blocks are the same as lino printers create. You should get some ink - or even use some acrylic - and try a few to see what they turn out like.

Jo Castillo said...

Very nice treasures! Lots for you to think about and research.

Stacy said...

Wow! Such wonderful treasures Rose! Enough to keep you busy playing and researching for some time.

Several weeks ago my Dad received two books on Wyeth from a friend who was getting rid of them. They are fabulous books full of reproductions. I am looking forward to spending more time with them the next time I visit.

Teresa Mallen said...

How terrific Rose, these books are wonderful. They have found the perfect home as I know that you will pour over them, learn from them and absolutely enjoy them. I am so delighted for you!

Rose Welty said...

I really have no excuse for ever buying a book again....

Jennifer Rose said...

great collection of books :D Id love to see the blocks printed

Anita said...

Oh lucky you!!!!