Thursday, December 4, 2008

Being Suggestive


I haven't had much time to paint lately, but I've been thinking about painting. I've been wrestling with the difference between brushstrokes and pencil/pen strokes. I simply melt at expressive brushstrokes...how does one become able to do that? Is it something in the wrist? the grip? the mind of the artist that just magically makes its way to the support? Can one have expressive pencil/pen strokes? Is it just scribbling in a suggestive way?

Anyway, as these thoughts had been rolling around in my mind the other day, I decided to try and "flesh them out" while the kettle boiled for my afternoon cup of inspiration. Above you see my efforts - from my beautiful Thanksgiving bouquet. Just a few quick dashes to suggest some flowers.

Note that the VSD reference will be posted on Friday (early this month to keep away from the frantic end of the month festivities.)

1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, such nice lines. :)

Enjoyed the sketches of your Mom and Dad. Just great.