Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lest You Think I Have Given Up Drawing

Cosmos Study

Here are some cosmos from a reference photo on WetCanvas. (Thanks to Stephie20).

I must say it was lovely to grab my pencil, relax and let it flow tonight.

This was done in my cachet studio blank book. I bought it on vacation as a replacement for the one I donated to the airline trash bin. I don't like the paper in it at all. I would much prefer a slicker paper with less texture. Not many more pages. Once it's finished I may have to treat myself to another Moleskine.

I've recently started reading Elements of Drawing by John Rushkin. I've known about the book for a long time, but never felt that I would understand enough to get much out of it. Having seen a new edition with illustrations in it, I decided to take the plunge. How glad I am that I did! I'll save my thoughts for a proper review later, but if you've ever wondered about Rushkin's book, it is definitely worth the read and definitely understandable.

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

This is just great. I like the texture. Nice work, enjoy the book.

Jeanette Jobson said...

This is a very good drawing Rose. I like the angular approach you're taking lately. I think drawing is always my comfort zone even though I experiment with other mediums too.

I'll keep an eye out for Rushkin's book when I'm next in Indigo.

Rose Welty said...

Jo and Jeanette, thanks. I think you can see the the greater ease and confidence in my hand here. :D