Yesterday I posted a pep talk about allowing yourself to fail, today's post tells you why I needed the pep talk.
What is the New Venture, fraught with the potential to fail?
Oil Painting. I am about to start learning to paint with oils. I plan to paint 3 pieces a week for eight weeks. I actually plan on continuing, but for now, two months sounds like a good goal.
Why Oil Painting?
- Colored Pencil - I have niggling doubts about CP as my primary medium. I'll never abandon pencils completely, but I struggle with having to be so delicate and slow with it. At times, even when I am careful, the results are not entirely to my liking.
- I hate not being able to say I paint - When people ask me about my art and I start explaining about CPs, eyes glaze over, that is not the reaction I want. Yes, it is a silly bias people have, but nonetheless, why should I always have to fight it?
- I want to be able to say "I paint in oils" - I've always figured that real artists who trained somewhere were the only ones capable of handling oils. Well, that is just dumb and I don't want to regret it any longer.
- I'd really love to have a go with the "Painting A Day" phenom. I've been doing a loose "drawing a day" thing on my own. I know the benefits of intensive work like that, I love the discipline of it, and I want to try it in a different medium. Could it lead to me selling pieces on ebay? I don't know, but I do know that if I did sell a piece on ebay I would feel that I had made a major step in my art career. (And no, all my satisfication and security doesn't come from other people's reaction to my work, but it does play a part.)
- I don't know how to paint. A brush is not a pencil or pen, they just don't behave the same.
- Repetition - I'm trying to be disciplined enough to paint three nights a week, every week for eight weeks.
- Blog - If my paintings are horrendous, what will I post on my blog?
- Pride - It's definitely going to be ugly in the beginning. And I can probably accept that a few times, but if progress slows and I just become discouraged? The temptation to stop and bail out of everything will be strong.
- Color - I feel like I have learned very little about color over the last several months and that it always detracts from what I was trying to achieve. Oil painting has alot to do with color! It feels like choosing to wrestle with a sumo, that's scary.