Monday, April 21, 2008

Paintbrush Fun

Paintbrushes
colored pencil on toned Ingres paper
A4, 210x297 mm

Last week Vivien Blackburn offered to run a fun little competition. She'll pick her favorite drawing of paintbrushes from those submitted by the end of June. Note that she has an amazing book for sale!

I know that I will get intimidated as time goes on and more great entries are put up, so I thought that I better just get one in now. Above you see my efforts.

I went for the "dramatic" look with the toned paper and black and white...these are mostly my uncle's paintbrushes. It was quite dramatic for me to receive them from him several months ago, even more so now with his recent passing.

Lots of fun as always to feel a part of the online art community!

8 comments:

Robyn Sinclair said...

Well I'm impressed! What a great choice of paper and such a fresh approach, Rose. Beautiful!

Accidenti! I'm going to have to have another go, if I'm to stay in the running.

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

I really like it Rose! I think you made a great choice of paper and color. It really stands out. :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

The darks and lights on the toned paper really add drama to a simple subject.

Lovely work.

Rose Welty said...

Thanks everyone for the support, it means alot!

Robyn, you silly girl, there is such beautiful texture in your drawing...you can see the difference in the brush hairs and the wood of the handle...something I could not achieve! It's a lovely drawing...one that is definitely in the running!

Belinda Lindhardt said...

Just lovely Rose you did really well on this one.

vivien said...

this is lovely Rose :>D the link is going onto the list

Robyn Sinclair said...

Rose, I think you have underestimated just what you achieved. This is beautiful!

Making A Mark said...

Rose - this is a little stunner!