Yesterday I tried a little experiment. I tried using a version of the sight-size method. Jo posted this link to Kelly Borsheim's post. I was intrigued, found this article by Ben Rathbone, and decided to have a go.
I'm way too lazy to formally implement such an idea, but I gave it a college try, above you see my setup (My paper is on the side of a bookshelf, the pepper is resting on my palette which is sitting on a shelf). My goal, more than improving accuracy, was actually to work on trying to see shapes of color. I've really been trying to see like a painter sees, I can't really say that it worked, or that I liked the results, but it was interesting to try. Down in the comments section of Kelly's post she responded to my questions and gave me a little more food for thought on the subject of mark-making.
Happy drawing! See my next post for some free stuff on offer!