Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Maxfield Parrish #1




This month I am going to have two series running concurrently. The first, "Drawing from the Masters", began yesterday. Today I begin the second. It is also on a master, but this time a more contemporary one, Maxfield Parrish (1870-1966).

He is known as an illustrator. At one time prints of his works were in nearly every home in America. He was born in Philadelphia, but spent most of his life in New Hampshire. There is a short biography filled with images here. Note the "doodles" from his childhood.

He was the consummate perfectionist in his art work. As these links will tell you:

Here's another page with several nice pictures of his work:

He had an incredibly detailed technique that led to a style all his own. The basic technique he learned from "the masters," but his own innovations led to his fame. So, I'm playing with the CPs and vellum to see what I can come up with that's interesting...(forgive me for showing you scribbles above in the images - playing is not exactly a science! :-) I do have an idea for a composition I'd like to do, but I need to keep digging around for some reference materials.

No comments: