Friday, June 1, 2007

A Little Degas

Earlier this week we found ourselves in a discount book store. In the flurry that is "keeping my children from breaking anything" shopping, I managed to grab a few books. One of them was a copy of a book put out by the Getty Museum. It is a biography and analysis of one of Degas' sketchbooks in their collection, along with some copies of pages in the sketchbook. Without having read much of it, I gather he did these sketches of friends at dinner parties.

I remember going to the Getty as a child and looking at several Degas ballet dancer works. I was rather fascinated. Now, with filling sketchbooks a habit of mine, I'm even more intrigued. So last night I had a glance through and decided to do a quick "study" of one of his sketches. They are very quick drawings, and yet there is nuance to his lines and a definite "shorthand" to it. You can tell that he was used to doing sketches like that and turning them into something more. So, I shall enjoy reading the above mentioned book.

I'm not sure if the Fineline Artists are choosing a master to study for the month. So, I may be on my own to choose someone to study. I plan to look at my goals from the beginning of the year and make a decision based on that if I don't hear of anything else. Degas was not on the goal list this year, but he may well end up my study for this month. Then again, I know there are some colored pencil goals on there, so we'll see.

Here's a little number I did of my husband after a few Degas "studies":

No comments: