Thursday, May 10, 2007

Just a Quickie



Just a quick post today, in the small gap between errands this morning and soccer practice this afternoon. I am starting a pen and ink, looking down a street for my Whistler project. This is meant to be similar to his etching work. I'm not etching, so I don't know how tied to Whistler this project really is, but I have learned alot about him this month. (You can use my labels on the right hand side of the blog to get just the Whistler posts.)

For one thing, he was meticulous. So, I've started cautiously and done some value studies. For my non-artist readers, these are just quick little sketches to see if your darks and lights form an interesting pattern. As you can see, in the two sketches to the right above, I decided that including the shade from the buildings on the right hand side of the street was better. It now remains to be decided whether to include the shade from the tall building that does not appear in the picture. Generally artists don't do this, it's confusing, but at times, used skillfully, it adds tremendous punch.

That's it for today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose! You've been doing so great with the Whistler project, I've been checking out most of my information for it through you! :)

Now, you can blame this one on Maggie because she got me into this but...you are blog Tagged! It's explained better on my blog. You don't have to do this if you don't want to...but it's fun trust me :D

Rose Welty said...

Then I fear for your project Wendy! Thank you though for your kind comments and mentions on your blog. You didn't have to do that, I appreciate it.