Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Reference Photo

This is what I do when I am not blogging or drawing, do I have a good life or what?

This is the reference photo for my next project. I'm spending a bit of time trying to get the drawing just how I want it. Then, this is one of those things that I'd like to try doing several ways. So...graphite drawing on white paper, near monochrome on colored paper with white highlights, an Ann Kullberg style colored pencil painting, and who knows what else.

While I've been working on this the last few days Sargent's voice has come back into my head. How refreshing!

2 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Rose - they look real sweeties - and would probably make noises if they heard that comment!

Are you going to lighten the darks in the photo before you start?

Rose Welty said...

Katherine, thanks for stopping by. The boys are a real joy...the youngest, if he heard your comment, would grin ear-to-ear and then you would be able to see the wheels turning in his head: "how can I use this power..."

Thanks for your reminder about the darks. I will be careful, as it is a photo, but one of my goals with this is to use dramatic lighting to try and pull away from the syrupy sweetness that is so often found in child portraits.